Strategy for HIT Pro Implementation Manager Certification Exam

Having decided to focus on the Implementation Manager certification I spent the morning downloading the audio lectures and installing them on my iPhone.  The result was downloading 151 files.  Assuming an average length of something like 20 minutes, I’ve calculated the listening time at approximately 50 hours, which means that my initial thought of completing the certification by the end of 2012 isn’t likely to happen.

Based upon what I’ve been reading in the LinkedIN HIT Pro Exam group postings, is looks like the focus of the exam is in the following areas:

Component 5 -History of Healthcare IT

Component 10 -Fundamentals of Health Workflow Process Analysis & Redesign

Component 19 -Introduction to Project Management

My plan at this point is to see how quickly I can get through the study efforts associated with three components and then schedule the exam.  Fortunately I have obtained a voucher so once I get my comfort level up I’ll schedule the exam.

6 thoughts on “Strategy for HIT Pro Implementation Manager Certification Exam

1. Hi Steve,
    There are actually 6 fields of focus that they call roles. Within each of those, the 10 classes are determined. As a certified Trainer from the program, I had classes on learning theory that someone who is a clinician or IT support person may not.

2. Steve,

I’ve taken 3 exams: Software Support, Implementation Specialist, and just yesterday, The Implementation Manager Exam. I would have to agree that most of the focus was on Workflow Processes, Project Management and some History/Culture. Not many questions on Leadership or Team Work. I feel that the practice questions from the curriculum do not match the actual exams very well. I am teaching this course at my local community college and am trying to create a test bank of questions that are more indicative of the questions my class will experience on the actual HITPRO Pearson Vue exam. Any suggestions?

• As you may have noted in my subsequent posting on this Blog, I’ve made a decision not to take the Implementation Manager exam for a while. Rationale for doing so it I’m concerned about the failure of the ONC to back the program in an appropriate manner and I am somewhat convinced that once the grant period expires, the program will simply disappear. Sad if that happens, but it wouldn’t be the first time that a government initiated program fails.

As far as providing input relative to the exam, well since I have not taken it, I doubt my input would be of much value. I do think your students might gain a few points by viewing the content of my “intelligent guessing” site at http://sl.sierracollege.edu/ig

Steve

3. Can you give me any recommendations on what material to use to study for the Implantation Management Exam.
    Thank you