Getting Ready for A+ Exams; Then for Linux+; and Advice for Cyber Students

I’m just about done with the CompTIA Train-the-Trainer class that finishes up next week. A couple of weeks after that I’ll receive my voucher for the new “core 2” exam (220-1002). Once I have that in hand I’ll schedule it along with the “core 1” exam (220-1001). The last week of March I’ll start taking the Train-the-Trainer class for the new Linux+ exam.

As a side note, wanted to share something that I’m distributing to faculty across Southern California. My advice to them is they need to share with their students the value of “networking” with industry professionals. That advice is shown below:

Here in Southern California we have a variety of national and international organizations that provide this ability to network on a local level. Specific networking opportunities you may want to consider getting involved with include:

• Infragard – An FBI created public/private partnership. Joining requires you go through a process characterized as a “security risk assessment.” There is are local chapters located in San Diego and Los Angeles.
  • ITDRC – The Information Technology Disaster Resource Center is a volunteer organization that provides communities with the technical resources necessary to continue operations and begin recovery after a disaster. It harnesses the collective resources of the technology community to provide no cost Information, Communications, and Technology (ICT) solutions that connect survivors and responders in crisis.
  • ISSA – The Information Systems Security Association is an international organization of information security professionals and practitioners. It provides educational forums, publications, and peer interaction opportunities that enhance the knowledge, skill, and professional growth of its members. There are local chapters located in San DiegoOrange County, and Los Angeles.
  • ISACA – The organization engages in the development, adoption and use of globally accepted, industry-leading knowledge and practices for information systems. Previously known as the Information Systems Audit and Control Association, ISACA now goes by its acronym only, to reflect the broad range of IT governance professionals it serves.  There are local chapters located in San DiegoOrange County, and Los Angeles.
  • (ISC)2 – An international association for information security leaders, committed to helping its more than 140,000 certified members learn, grow and thrive. There is a local chapter located in San Diego.
  • AITP – The Association of Information Technology Professionals was created in partnership with CompTIA, and serves as the go-to resource for individuals seeking to start, grow and advance a career in technology. There are local chapters in San Diego and Los Angeles.

2 thoughts on “Getting Ready for A+ Exams; Then for Linux+; and Advice for Cyber Students

1. What is the CompTIA Train-the-Trainer? Is this a program that allows you to teach CompTIA courses? It looks like you take a lot of cert exams. How it is not making you broke having to pay all the money out. Do you have any tips on how much time you spend practicing for passing these cert exams? I would love to instruct these classes as well.

• Educators that focus on teaching courses aligned with CompTIA certifications, as long as their institution is a member of the CompTIA Academy Program, can get free exam vouchers. The Train-the-trainer video courses are available to trainers who are members of the CompTIA Instructor Network (https://cin.comptia.org/ ). Go ahead and join. Hard to say how much time it takes to prepare to teach these classes. The longer you have been doing it, the easier it gets.