Study for HIT-001 Exam

After spending a week driving around Southern Baja California, I’m back in Cabo, with Internet access, continuing with my study efforts for the Healthcare Technician certificate.  Note that I said “certificate” rather than “certification.”  CompTIA, I suspect for legal reasons, characterizes passing this test as providing a “certificate.”  Rationale is that given the medical business is highly regulated, there were fears associated with characterizing the successful passage of the HIT-001 as providing a “certification.”  Since being “honored” by CompTIA relative to a regulated industry, doesn’t amount to licensing, CompTIA is effectively providing recognition of its inability to “license.”

As far as studying goes, having read a number of reviews about the quality of the ElementK book, I’m avoiding its use and have as a focused study tool the recently released book by Mark Ciampa and Mark Revels titled “Introduction to Healthcare Information Technology.”  My “pre-test” review of the book gives it a big “Thumbs Up.”  If I’m eventually able to teach this course, I would certainly accept it as my textbook.  It is an easy to read and interesting book.  It is clearly written to the exam objectives and appears to adequately cover the computer networking and security areas, and hopefully does the same with regard to those objectives that are specific to the healthcare industries.

My plan is to either take the exam on Friday, June 1st, or shortly thereafter.  I’ll update the blog to include my thoughts relative to the exam and indicate whether or not my effort at obtaining the “certificate” was successful.

Steve